Java Development Kit (JDK)
Java is platform independent, reliable Programming language introduced by sun systems, used mainly to Develop Internet applications and applets. Java is used to create web-based applications and allows user interaction on the Internet. Java allows us to have animation, audio and video clippings in our web page. Java Programming helps in writing Programs using which one can connect to any computer on the Internet.
- Java is two stage system having both compiler & interpreter.
- High Availability : Maximize the availability of your business applications with log shipping, online backups.
- Java is Platform Independent & Portable language. Thus Java Program can be moved from one computer to another computer, irrespective of the hardware or operating systems.
- Java supports object oriented concepts. Java comes with an extensive set of classes which can be used by inheritance.
- Java allows us to have animation, audio and video clippings in our web page.
- Java provides many safeguards for security. It has strict, compile & run time checking for data types. Java also has concept of error handling which captures errors & eliminate any serious risk to the system.
- Java is a distributed language i.e. it can be used across various networks.
- Java is a simple language as compared to other object oriented languages.
- Java supports multithreading i.e. one can perform multiple task in system independent of each other
- Java is capable of dynamic linking.
- Java is extensible language.
- Java is used to create web-based applications and allows user interaction on the Internet.
- Java Programs can be used to connect to any computer on the Internet and have financial transactions.
Servlets are used for Server-Side Programming. Servlets are generic extensions to Java-enabled servers. Their most common use is to extend Webservers, providing a very secure, portable and easy-to-use replacement for CGI. A Servlet is a dynamically loaded module that services requests from a Webserver. It runs entirely inside the Java Virtual Machine.
- Processing data posted over https using an HTML form, including purchase order or credit card data. A servlet like this could be part of an order-entry and processing system, working with product and inventory databases, and perhaps an on-line payment system.
- Allowing collaboration between people. A servlet can handle multiple requests concurrently; they can synchronize requests to support systems such as on-line conferencing.
- Forwarding requests. Servlets can forward requests to other servers and servlets. This allows them to be used to balance load among several servers that mirror the same content. It also allows them to be used to partition a single logical service over several servers, according to task type or organizational boundaries.
- Being a community of active agents. A servlet writer could define active agents that share work among each other. Each agent would be a servlet, and the agents could pass data among themselves
- Create JDBC connection pool.
- Create an Online Catalog System.
- Developing E-Commerce "store fronts" will become one of the most common uses for Java servlets.
- Servlets can be used to deploy Websites that open up large legacy systems on the Internet.
JDBC technology is an API that lets you access virtually any tabular data source from the JavaTM programming language. It provides cross-DBMS connectivity to a wide range of SQL databases, and now, with the new JDBC API, it also provides access to other tabular data sources, such as spreadsheets or flat files.
- JDBC programs are platform and Vendor independent.
- JDBC components inter-operate with Database and connects via JDBC - ODBC bridges.
- You can use JDBC in both applications and applets.
- Database vendors and database tool vendors can supply the low level drivers. Thus, they can optimize their drivers for their specific products.
- With JDBC you can write useful programs to handle realistic database chores.
JavaServer Pages involves generating HTML pages from hybrid HTML/Java source files. These source files are typically named using the .jsp extension (though this isn't a requirement). Java source code is embedded in .jsp pages using JSP tags that are described in the JSP 1.1 specification.
JSP allow you to combine the HTML of a Web page with pieces of Java code in the same document. The Java code is surrounded by special tags that tell the JSP container that it should use the code to generate a servlet, or part of one. The benefit of JSPs is that you can maintain a single document that represents both the page and the Java code that enables it.
Open source has brought a lot more than Linux to the computing world. It has also given us PHP and MySQL. PHP and MySQL are the world's best combination for creating data-driven sites.
J2EE is a multitiered application architecture. The J2EE specification defines roles based on certain functionality in the normal course of development and deployment of a J2EE application.